Just recently, I shared Nate and I’s encounter with a smoker on my Facebook page. This is in hopes of raising awareness on second-hand smoking and its effect on children. Read on.
Habang pauwi kami ni Nate sakay ang tricycle, may isang lalaking pumara at tumabi sa’min. Bago sya pumasok, nakita kong hinithit nya ang sigarilyo nya at hinawakan ‘to habang pumapasok sa loob ng trike.
Nate, being daldalito, tumingin sa kanya, then tumingin sakin sabay sabi:
“Ma, ‘di ba hindi good ang mag-smoke? Nag smoke sya.” Sabay tingin kay kuya.
Walang ka mode-moderation ng boses ang pagkakasabi nya, mga Inay! At rinig na rinig ni Kuya! LOL.
Napasmile kami pareho at tinapon nya na agad ang yosi nya. Siguro nahiya sya sa sinabi ng inosenteng bata. This happened earlier this year.
Pag-usapan muna natin ‘tong tinatawag na: “SECOND-HAND SMOKING”
SHS or Second-Hand Smoking
Tinatawag na second-hand smoking o SHS kapag ang tao ay nakalalanghap ng usok na binubuga ng taong naninigarilyo o kaya naman ay nakaamoy ang usok na galing sa sigarilyo mismo.
• Kung ikaw o ang anak mo ay madalas nakakalanghap ng second-hand smoke, ang tawag sa’yo ay involuntary or passive smoker.
• Ang second-hand smoking (SHS) ay pwedeng mag cause ng cancer.
• Ang second-hand smoking ay pwedeng magdulot ng lung cancer kahit pa hindi nagyoyosi ang tao.
• Maliban dito, ang SHS ay pwede rin magdulot ng iba pang uri ng sakit.
• Ang pinaka apektado sa lahat ng SHS ay ang mga bata. Posible silang maging sakitin at magkaroon ng lung infections gaya nalang ng bronchitis at pulmonya.
• SHS triggers asthma attacks and its symptoms.
• For infants, second-hand smoking can cause serious effects including sudden infant death syndrom (SIDS).
No to Second-Hand Smoking
First of all, why am I sharing this?
Because many smokers just don’t care about it. In contrast, all they care about is satisfying their own body without thinking about whether it can harm others or not. As a result, more and more youngsters are harmed each day.
If you don’t plan on stopping from smoking, that’s completely up to you. That’s your life, you rule. Consequently, I can’t do anything about that.
While we were fortunate that we grew up with a father who never smokes, Many of our friends are not. They grew up as second-hand smokers due to their family addicted to smoking.
However, that didn’t guarantee safety. As soon as we step outside the corners of our home, we were exposing ourselves to neighbors who are smoking. So, we ourselves weren’t 100% safe.
Therefore, it’s important that we be responsible enough. Furthermore, only smoke in designated smoking areas and never in public. More importantly, NEVER near those who do not smoke or near the kids.
We are already polluting the environment by not taking care of nature. Likewise, we’re already throwing garbages everywhere. We’re already harming the future generation.
Hence, Let’s not make it even worse. For their sakes. While you are enjoying your sticks of cigarettes, remember the little ones.
Finally, if we don’t stop this, what kind of Earth will we leave our children? 🙁